Forum

Clevo PS650RS, Alie...

Notifications
Clear all

Clevo PS650RS, Alienware 15 R3, or MSI GT62VR for School?  

RSS
ShatteredAwe
(@shatteredawe)

Hello. I'm currently a University student and I'm trying to pick a gaming laptop that can give me great performance, but that I can still take to class every day. My life is quite ill-structured, so no I don't have space/time for a desktop. By the way, I live in Canada, so my budget and each of these laptops are around $2,000 CDN.

The 3 models that I've sort of landed on are the Clevo PS650RS (the EUROCOM SKY MX5 R2 to be exact), the Alienware 15 R3 (1070) and the MSI GT62VR. Out of all of these, I personally prefer the Clevo in terms of looks (I'm too old for a lot of these 'gamer' designs), but I'm concerned about what I read about the thermals (I see anywhere from a maximum of 70c to maximum of 90c while gaming regularly. My Current laptop is a MSI GT70 20c and it never gets higher than a low 80c while gaming). I'm also concerned about the fan noise, and the hinges for the screen look very off/weak. For someone who's going to be moving around a lot, it does concern me. As well, the battery life reports are really inconsistent. I've seen from 2.5 hours to 325 minutes. I need something that can give me at least 4 hours because of my classes. It also only comes with 1 year of warranty, and extra warranty is expensive.

There's also the Alienware that I'm considering. My biggest reason for even including it is it's battery life, which hits my requirements nicely. So my biggest drawbacks from it are the fact that it's overpriced (The 1070 model starts at 2400$), that it looks hard to/impossible to upgrade, and that extended warranty is expensive (it comes with 1 year warranty though).

The MSI fares much better for me (BTW I'm talking about the 1070 version). It's slimmer, the battery life is acceptable, and it's slim. I'm also used to an MSI already. My biggest gripe with it would be thermals, it's looks (once again it has the giant logo on the back) and it's warranty. I have an MSI laptop for 4 years, and while it did fine for the 2 years that it was within warranty, in it's 3rd year I had to spend an extra 200$ on repairing it's battery and power supply. As I write you this, the keyboard is malfunctioning, and I'll need to spend more money on it if I want to fix it. I also hear a lot of horror stories about MSI Support in general.

Considering my situation, which one would you prefer/suggest?

Posted : 14/12/2016 4:26 pm
junky
(@junkyadmin)
Member Admin

Sorry for the long wait. I was a little busy!

1. Can you get something from USA without the import taxes and such? Any relative/friend that can bring stuff to you?
  2. You see inconsistent reports because this is widely dependent on factors not necessarily taken into account (highly probably not by me either), like some background process that keeps the GPU running on higher clocks than necessary for the common use.
  3. $200 for PSU and battery?!
  4. So, no GT72VR? there is a nice deal in the US right now
  5. I like the GT62VR - it's a good machine. But it's not slim and 4 hours of casual work may be a challange
  6. Still don't get you - how much do you want a slim/lightweight laptop?
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2016 2:28 am
ShatteredAwe
(@shatteredawe)
  1. I don't have anyone who lives in the US. Generally though US Laptops cost around 200-300$ more in Canada, so most of the laptops that you showed that cost "$1699" in the US are at least $1899 here.
  2. Oh, true that makes sense.
  3. Yep, Canadian pricing >_>. Plus the laptop was old so I think that might have had something to do with it.
  4. Both the GT72Vr and the GT62Vr look good for my needs, but my only issues are the battery life (I should probably get over myself there though. The only gaming laptops with good battery life seem to be the Alienwares and they're overpriced) and their design. I don't know why but the Canadian models have this weird red pattern on their lids that might turn some heads.
  5. I don't really need a lightweight/slim laptop, I just need something that's comfortable to take to class everyday. The slimmer the better but I value things like cooling/performance more.And btw it's no problem I understand. Thanks alot for all the reviews you do!

EDIT: I'm basically in between this one:  http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,396,0)ec (Configured mine is about 2100$) or this one  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154348 . I'm not sure if the FHDT model is much different than the others.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2016 2:35 am
junky
(@junkyadmin)
Member Admin
  1. The AW15R3 is not a good laptop. Maybe the first version is buggy, but it's not good.
  2. For example, the GT72VR with GTX 1070 is now selling for less than $1400 in the US, including 250GB SSD and 120HZ display. Why not buy from the US and pay the import tax?
  3. Thanks for understanding!
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2016 2:41 am
ShatteredAwe
(@shatteredawe)
  1. Thanks for the warning.
    2. Sorry for the long wait on my part! I just had to finish up some work. I think ultimately the biggest problem is that it's a big hassle for me to import things from the US. So I'm sort of locked with Canadian dealers.
    3. No problem! I've been looking around at other laptops too so now I'm also considering the Tornado F5. I heard that some guys were able to get it on battery past 5 hours, it has a desktop cpu, swappable graphics and everything.  Only problem is that's it slightly more expensive than the other laptops, and that it might be too "complicated" for a beginner like me.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2016 3:58 am
Share: