Fast laptop ~$600 f...

Notifications
Clear all

Fast laptop ~$600 for light gaming  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS
sillyquestionman
(@sillyquestionman)

Howdy howdy. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in a laptop I'll use mostly in my living room and bedroom for movies and music, as well as light gaming and Microsoft Office stuff. I like the style and specs of the Asus N551JK, but that's too expensive and overkill. I'd like to either buy a laptop with an SSD, or purchase one to install myself. I'm really appreciative of any time you take to help me out. PS - I pasted the laptop questionnaire from reddit below 😛

Country of purchase: US

Budget range: About $600

Purpose (netbook, ultraportable, mainstream, gaming, desktop replacement, etc.): Netbook, ultraportable, or desktop replacement; mostly for media and reddit.

Screen size preference: 15" to 17"

OS preference (Windows/ Mac/ Linux): Windows

Gaming requirements (example games and desired fps/settings): Light gaming; stuff like Portal, GBA emulation, Baldur's Gate, and maybe Starcraft. Games mostly for the story and fun, not graphics intensive.

Performance requirements (video, CAD, etc.): Sweet performance? I just don't want any hiccups or lagging.

Method of computer support (office supplier, college bookstore, self support): Self

Brand preferences and reasons (already owned accessories, familiarity, business compatibility): I heard Asus has great quality laptops, and they're easy to upgrade.

Any particular style that you like (examples are great): Asus N551JK for it's looks and stats. Definitely want a backlit keyboard.

Which of the following qualities would you prefer? (Choose one, the other, or balanced)

Long battery life -vs- Low weight: Low weight

Build quality -vs- Low price: BUILD QUALITY!

Low noise/heat -vs- High performance: Low noise/heat

Would you pay a premium for something that has:

High resolution screen: YES

A great keyboard: YES

A great touchpad/mouse buttons: YES

Great audio: Yes

List any features that are critical: Matte screen, backlit keyboard, IPS Full HD, i5 quad core cpu, SSD or easily upgradable hard drive, 8 gigs RAM with potential for upgrade to 16 later, HDMI port, USB 3.0, SD card slot, ethernet port.

Posted : 03/12/2014 3:30 am
junky
(@junkyadmin)
Member Admin

Hi again! (-:

Well, can you replace screen yourself?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2014 5:25 am
sillyquestionman
(@sillyquestionman)

I've never tried. If it's not more complicated than replacing a hard drive with a SSD, then I can probably swing it. I hadn't considered that before. What do you have in mind?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2014 7:35 am
junky
(@junkyadmin)
Member Admin

Just let me get it straight - you don't really want a laptop for gaming, but a good everyday use laptop, right? and a very light gaming abilities will be appreciated

Are you ok with smaller laptops like those 13.3"-14.0" ultrabooks ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2014 4:49 pm
sillyquestionman
(@sillyquestionman)

You are correct. I game on my PS4, so this laptop is more for media, internet, and Microsoft Office use. I usually have lots of programs and tabs running at once, so I want a strong CPU that will run smoothly. That said, I would like to play games like Portal, Baldur's Gate, and Starcraft on low-medium settings.

I think I won't be happy with anything smaller than 15.6". I've got big hands and fingers and I want a comfortable fit on the keyboard. My current laptop that's almost dead is 17.3", so everything will seem smaller in comparison, but I'm ok with 15.6".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2014 8:40 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: