New Laptop, Older Games
I'm looking for a 15" laptop that can play older games like Civ 4, KOTOR, or Half Life 2 on max settings, but can also handle some photo/video editing (DLSR photos and GoPro videos). Would the HP Omen 15t work for this?
I understand what you are asking for, but while what you linked to is a good option in terms of performance, it's (a) expensive for the performance and (b) perhaps even an overkill and (c) not that great in terms of components (better go with more RAM).
You can either go with much cheaper gaming laptop with basic features (like this), or, for $800-$900, something nicer, with more RAM, and better storage
I can budget out to about $1000...any other suggestions in that price range? Thank you for the quick response!!
- You can find a laptop with a GTX 1060 for that price, but that would be HUGE overkill, really
- Perhaps a quality laptop like the Dell XPS 9560 would be a nice option, but I don't see it for low prices right now
- Are you ok with a refurbished machine? link
- Can you replace SSD and RAM yourself?
- Generally, models with a 7th generation Intel CPU are in their last days, so I would suggest waiting with it for the next generation.
I found an Acer that I think might do the trick. I can replace SSD and RAM, but it looks like this RAM can't be replaced (plus I think 8GB might do the trick, especially for these older games). Should I try to go for something with 16GB RAM (or the ability to upgrade to 16GB) or will 8GB do the trick for these older games and some light photo/video editing?